Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Replacing Spring Bolts

Well for the last week we have been just doing not much of anything, but running from the coach to the truck when it is raining and we need to make a run to the store.  Cyndy has been going to physical therapy for her back.  She has been to 3 sessions and say her back is getting better, YAH!!!!
Anyway the middle of last week we were due for a reall bad storm and the mountain showed how bad it was going to be.
  The old Indian legion is "if there is a cap on the mountain it will rain within 24 hours, well this looks like a big hat so it must be going to rain a lot.  Which it did last weekend into Monday with some real good winds and rain!!!!!
Today the weather is changing and it will be nice for the next couple of days, so it is time for me to change out the bolts on the springs with new grease able bolts and brass bushing. I wasn't sure how long it was going to take we, but I set it up so I would do one side today and the other tomorrow.  I am glad I gave myself a lot of time.  I think I worked on it for just over 3 hours with a good break in the middle.  Had to make a run to Six Robles to pick up a longer bolt for one of the shackles.
With a few hiccups along the way I did a pretty good job.  Tomorrow should go a lot better.  Here is a couple of pictures of what I am doing.
 Right here is were I had to make the trip for a bigger bolt, but all is well.
I had to take two wheels off at a time to do the work correctly, but tomorrow it will go a little faster, I hope.  All of the plastic bushings were just about gone.  I think with just about 15000 miles them it is not to bad.  Brass should give me a lot more wear and using rease fitting will make them last a lot longer, too.
As you can see the plastic bushings are gone, but one thing I was not expecting was see the shackles already egg shaped.  Lucky for me I had a spare set for replace this set.  Tomorrow morning before I get started I will head down to Six Robles for a couple of more sets encase the other side has a bad set or two.  There was only one bad set on this side where I has 3 sets.
Tomorrow some more crawling around on my hands and knees, I can feel it a little tonight so a couple of Advil and a good nights sleep will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment